Monday, April 25, 2011

More Reading or Is It Time for Action?

Some of the writing books on my bookshelves are Writer Mama by Christina Katz; Steering the Craft by Ursula K. Le Guin; and The Writer's Digest Guide to Query Letters by Wendy Burt-Thomas. Now remember, these are just some of the books on my shelf (and all good, by the way).

Next to my desk, I have notes from writer's conferences I've attended for many years. On my computer, I have bookmarked
writer websites--how-to's, authors, publishers, and more. I've saved writing articles in my file under "writing." There are a few monthly author/writing events I'd love to attend.


I have numerous how-to books, websites marked, and notes on a variety of subjects: drawing, self-publishing, theater, business, gardening.


It's all rather overwhelming; my head feels like it's going to explode. Sometimes, I'm so discouraged by my inabilities that I want to give up. 

But there comes a point when it's time to stop reading, attending conferences, researching websites, and start acting. No matter how many writing books I read, my writing won't improve unless I write. The garden doesn't grow unless I actually plant seeds. My business doesn't expand just because I read about a good marketing technique. I have to do. Write, plant, market, draw--whatever the skill I want to learn or improve, I have to act. More reading can come later...when my head is no longer about to explode.

No comments:

Post a Comment