Monday, January 5, 2009

Cardamom Bread

Every Christmas season, I make Cardamom bread. I love it. It has nothing to do with writing or performing but I love it. Here's the recipe:
Dissolve 2 Tbls yeast in 1/2 c hot water.
Beat together the following until smooth:
2 c scalded milk
1 c butter, melted
1 c sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp crushed cardamom
2 c flour
Then add the following and mix well:
softened yeast
about 5 c flour

Knead 10 min. on a floured board, until smooth. Put in a thinly oiled bowl, turning dough to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (about 1 hour). Knead smooth. Divide into six pieces and roll thin. Braid three. Put on a cookie sheet or cake pan. Cover and let rise until double. Beat 1 egg and brush over bread. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Cardamom can be expensive. I've made this bread without cardamom for years but then one year I found a cheaper brand of the spice and I've been able to make cardamom bread with cardamom--whoa, what a concept!

No comments:

Post a Comment