Saturday, January 31, 2009

Library Camp-In

Our public library had a No-TV week for children. If they made the pledge and managed to not watch TV for a whole week, then they could participate in the Library Camp-In. My daughter did it and she had to bring a parent--Me! I was so excited. I mean, an all-nighter at a library, a place where one should read. Could life get better? There were kids crafts during the evening, all of which were a little too young for my 12 year old. But that's okay, we wandered around, played a paper game and then entered the auditorium about 8:00 p.m. for the storyteller, Will Hornyak. I've heard him before and he is great. Door prizes followed Will, then off to brush teeth, get in pajamas and go to our sleeping area. It's a big library and there were over 100 campers. Although the children were a little wild after the show, I wasn't worried because I knew the lights went out at 10 p.m. and we were all supposed to bring flashlights, which I assumed were for reading while in your sleeping bag. That's what Hannah and I used them for. But there were still a lot of kids running around after the lights went out. So, I've discovered I get grumpy when I don't get sleep, even grumpier when parents assume it's okay with everyone else that their children run around wherever for however long. To be fair, there were a lot of campers and for the most part even those running around weren't THAT noisy. I guess I just looked forward to reading--and sleeping--in the quiet library. (I may not do it again but for the one time it was fun).

No comments:

Post a Comment