Wednesday, October 26, 2011

NaNoWriMo

National Novel Writing Month is just less than six days away! The suspense is building, like it does when someone says, "On your mark. Get set..." AND GO!

NaNoWriMo is in November and during that time, writing enthusiasts try to write a novel with a minimum of 50,000 words from scratch. The website allows you to track your progress and become friends with other writers. If you're a young writer (17 and under), you get to choose your target word count through the Young Writers Program. It's a chaotic, intense,
leave-the-dishes-in-the-sink month (and, boy, do those dishes stack up).

I participated for the first time in 2009 and had a rough draft of White Fire at the end of November. In 2010, I wrote Thirina's Desert. It's still only in rough draft form. A friend said we need a NaNoEdMo so we'll be spurred on to actual edit our manuscripts.

Now for the math (which I do every year):
November = 30 days 
Weekdays = 22 days (I like to leave 2 days a week open and Sunday is a total rest day for me)
Holiday = 2 days (Prepping for and then Thanksgiving Day which is game playing day (we participate in the Million Minute Challenge, too--nothing to do with NaNoWriMo). 
TOTAL WRITING DAYS = 20.
50,000 words / 20 = 2500 words per writing day.
2500 words per day / 1000 words per hour (my typing speed) = 2.5 hours per day.

Between performing, teaching, working, sleeping (now and then), praying and playing, I have to find 2.5 hours to write. Be sure not to disturb me during those times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment