Friday, December 26, 2008

Holidays--and Middle of the Night--the Perfect Time for Writing?

Because of the holidays--and a note from an editor requesting holiday stories--I've been thinking about...well...holiday stories. But what to write about--elves that don't fit in? reindeer that don't fit in? misfit toys? Wait a minute, that's a movie called "Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer." So that's a no-go. A Santa story? Let me think, a holiday story about Santa... hm...probably it's been done once or twice. So I've been putting off writing any holiday stories. I had to think about it more. Fortunately (or unfortunately, as the case may be), I went to bed early the other day because I was so exhausted. I woke up, really woke up, wide-awake type thing at 10 p.m. Too soon to get up and stay up. If only it had been 2 or 3 a.m. I could have justified getting out of bed. But I lie there, telling myself firmly to get back to sleep. It didn't work. I figured since I was awake but trying to get back to sleep, I could at least figure out a character and a conflict for a holiday story. It came to me and I went back to sleep!

This morning I typed it up, along with another idea that came to me. Yay! I'll take them to my writer's critique group next week, let them rip up the stories, edit and re-write, and submit it.

I would love to reveal the title and such of the story, but that will have to wait a couple of years, while I try to sell it.

No comments:

Post a Comment