Thursday, January 2, 2020

Granddaughters and Talent and YouTube How-to's

My older granddaughters just amaze me. They have so many creative talents. This past summer they were in my improv class and they were good. I saw some of their sketches and loved them. One wants to be a contortionist and then I saw her practicing and she's so flexible. She also wants to sing and she has a beautiful voice. The 11-year-old was writing a book and read two chapters to me. I wanted to hear the rest of the story but she hasn't written it yet. Both of them can paint. I wondered why I was so astonished and excited by what they were doing and then I realized it was because I hadn't found my talents by their ages. What an incredible thing for young people to discover something they can do well. The only talent I had which I learned at 15 was mime. Everything else I learned I could do, came after I was 30: picture book writing, play writing, novel writing, play directing, sketching, watercolor painting, acrylic painting. 
So a big cheer to the youth who find a talent: Keep it up!
And a big cheer to those adults who don't let adulthood dry them out but bloom at that time, too: Keep it up!
A big thank-you to those who post how-to's on YouTube, and those who give workshops and classes, for all the art centers and libraries that sponsor artists so I can attend for free. (My income couldn't afford all the classes that I would LOVE to take.)
All of you inspire me! 

(I better get busy and post a how-to on making the mime wall and other techniques so I can pay it forward.)

watercolor jellyfish
Watercolor Christmas cards


No comments:

Post a Comment